SEO specialist – who is it, how much does it earn and how to become one?
When most businesses are online, SEO is becoming increasingly important. One of the key factors influencing a website’s visibility in search engines is SEO optimisation, and the SEO specialist plays a central role in this process. It is a profession that originated in the marketing industry and is becoming increasingly popular.
Who is an SEO specialist?
SEO specialist is a person who deals with website positioning. In a nutshell, the main task of an SEO specialist is to ensure that the websites he or she deals with are placed and maintained in the highest possible position in the search results when a user types in a specific phrase. However, this is only about organic results – the SEO specialist does not deal with sponsored search ads.
The SEO specialist deals with the optimisation of websites for various search engines (Bing, Yahoo), however, the most commonly used search engine is Google.
Responsibilities of an SEO specialist
The responsibilities of an SEO specialist are very broad and require SEO knowledge and experience, analytical skills and creativity.
An SEO specialist performs a range of tasks such as:
Keyword analysis: the SEO specialist analyses which keywords are most frequently searched for by users on a given topic related to the client’s area of business. He or she then determines which of these should be implemented on the website to increase its position in search results.
Analysis of website visibility and competition: the specialist carries out a competitive analysis to find niches and opportunities to improve the website’s position in search results.
Content optimisation: the specialist indicates which content on the website should be optimised so that it complies with SEO rules and is as attractive as possible from the user’s perspective. Sometimes he also implements the changes himself.
Link building: the SEO specialist also builds links to the website to increase its popularity and position in search results.
Estimation and monitoring of results: the SEO specialist regularly monitors the position of the website in the search results and performs ongoing data analysis using the tools available.
Collaboration with copywriters: the expert provides information on the keywords that should be included in the content. Copywriters then create texts that incorporate these keywords. The SEO specialist also adjusts the structure of the website to help improve search results, and the copywriters prepare content that takes these requirements into account.
Implementing new technologies: the SEO specialist needs to keep up to date with new technologies and trends in SEO and put them into practice to ensure that the website performs at its best.
SEO specialist – where does he or she work?
SEO specialists can work in a variety of places, including:
- In marketing agencies: many marketing agencies offer SEO services and employ professionals to work on projects.
- In e-commerce companies: companies with online shops are particularly interested in SEO for their websites and often decide to hire their own in-house specialists.
- In marketing departments: Companies with an internal marketing department may hire SEO specialists to work on their websites.
- As freelancers: In addition to the above jobs, specialists sometimes decide to work on their own, offering individual services.
What does the career path of an SEO specialist look like?
The career path of an SEO specialist can look different depending on individual experience and career goals.
Examples of the career development stages of an SEO specialist:
1. SEO apprentice/intern
A person who wants to start a career in SEO may start as an intern or trainee at a marketing agency, e-commerce company or interactive agency. During this period, basic skills related to keyword analysis, content optimisation and link building are learned.
2. Junior SEO specialist
After learning basic skills, the SEO specialist usually works on specific projects to help clients. He or she usually works under the guidance of more experienced SEO specialists.
3. Independent SEO specialist:
This is a person who is able to carry out a comprehensive SEO analysis of websites on their own, propose optimisations, implement them and further analyse the results. An independent SEO specialist is able to work unsupervised and manage SEO projects within a company or agency.
4. Senior SEO specialist (senior):
This is usually a person with several years of experience as an SEO specialist, who has extensive knowledge of SEO and is able to manage SEO campaigns for larger clients or projects.
5. SEO manager:
The SEO manager is responsible for the overall management of SEO projects, including strategy development, action planning, managing teams and reporting results to clients.
The actual career progression of an SEO specialist can look different, depending on experience and career goals.
How much does an SEO specialist earn?
The average salary of an SEO specialist depends on factors such as level of experience, location and company size.
Based on data from salary.co.uk collected in January 2023. However, it can be estimated that:
- Beginner SEO specialists earn on average between PLN 4,000 and PLN 5,000 gross per month.
- SEO specialists with intermediate experience can earn between PLN 5,000 and PLN 7,000 gross per month.
- Earnings senior SEO specialists or experienced SEO project managers range from PLN 7,000 to PLN 11,000 gross per month.
How to become a SEO specialist?
To become an SEO specialist, it is worthwhile first of all to acquire knowledge and skills in this field by:
Completing courses and training in the field of SEO
There are many courses and training courses on the market to help you gain knowledge and skills in SEO. The choice is huge – from free introductory courses available online to professional training courses organised by experienced SEO agencies, for example.
Want to receive professional SEO training and get a certificate to prove your participation? Take a look at the SEOgroup Academy’s range of training courses: https://www.seogroup.pl/szkolenia/
- Reading blogs and industry articles: Regularly reading SEO-related blogs and articles from both Polish and international sources is one of the best ways to expand your knowledge and keep up to date with the latest trends and techniques in SEO.
- Being active on social media – Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram: In addition to the obligatory reading, it is also definitely worth following posts and comments from people in the industry and reading about new developments, in short, always “staying up to date”.
- Studies related to internet marketing: Studying related to internet marketing can help you gain knowledge and skills in the field of SEO. Students learn website optimisation, traffic analysis and content optimisation, all of which are essential in the work of an SEO specialist. However, this is only an introduction to career development, as learning by doing is important in this profession.
- Internships and apprenticeships: The best way to gain experience in SEO is through an internship. For example, you can set up your own site or apply for an internship to gain valuable practical experience.
If you’re interested in the topic of SEO and want to learn more about what SEO actually is, take a look at our comprehensive guide to the most frequently asked questions: https://www.seogroup.eu/effective-seo/
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!